Sunday 2 November 2008

Carl Fredrik Aagard Pergola in Amalfi painting

Carl Fredrik Aagard Pergola in Amalfi paintingCarl Fredrik Aagard Mediterranean Shipping paintingCarl Fredrik Aagard A Woodland Scene With Deer painting
Camp Six, twenty-seven thousand feet. You don't talk much up there. We all had our Everests to re-climb, over and over, all night. But at some point I asked: "What was that noise? Did anyone fire a gun?" They looked at me as if I was touched. Who'd do such a damnfool thing at this altitude, they said, and anyway, Allie, you know damn well there isn't a gun anywhere on the mountain. They were right, of course, but I heard it, I know that much: wham bam, shot and echo. That's it," she ended abruptly. "The end. Story of my ." She picked up a silver-headed cane and prepared to depart. The teacher, Mrs. Bury, came forward to utter the usual platitudes. But the girls were not to be denied. "So what was it, then, Allie?" they insisted; and she, looking suddenly ten years older than her thirty-three, shrugged. "Can't say," she told them. "Maybe it was Maurice Wilson's ghost."
She left the classroom, leaning heavily on her stick.
o o o

No comments: